10/17/2010

Karma

Posted on
Yesterday was a pretty good day. My friend Riley who is a professional photographer was in town from Utah. I took him off-roading and we got some awesome photos. Then later we drove down to Lakewood for the Earlybird Rail Jam. But I'll save all those details for a later entry when I have pictures.

Unfortunately I have had a horrible streak of luck the past few weeks. I moved out to Colorado last summer because I got my dream job at Woodward at Copper. I wasn't able to work this summer because I had two back surgeries, so unfortunately they didn't have any open positions for me this season. I'm bummed beyond words, I loved that job. I also won't get to go to Park City this season now (where a few of my best friends live), since I will no longer be able to ride there for free through Woodward]. Then last night on my way home from Lakewood I got pulled over and received $170 speeding ticket... I wasn't speeding. I purposely DON'T speed for that reason, and I think the cop actually meant to pull over the SUV which was in the next lane over and in front of me, blocking me from the cops radar in the first place. Then, the other night, while trying to play sober peacekeeper between some of my guy friends, after kindly driving 6 of my friends home all over town, I somehow became the target of all the mayhem... none of them have yet to apologize. On top of all that, I missed my favorite artist at a small private venue in Denver, I got the stomach flu, I spilled hot chocolate all over my favorite shorts, which happened to be white, and ruined them, and the entire sole of my favorite pair of boots in the entire world decided to peel off in a day. Not to mention the massive scar I now have on my leg from my freak bike accident, and the recurrence of the tumor in my back for the 3rd time since having it removed twice this summer.

I guess no matter how good of a person you try to be sometimes things are just going to go wrong. I'm a person of faith, and I believe very strongly that every event, good or bad, happens for a reason... even if it takes a long time to realize what the reason is. I often use quotes and songs to help me get through my rough times, so I thought I'd share two. The first is a quote from a show called One Tree Hill. I don't actually watch the show, but I love the quote. The second is a song called The Realest Song by one of my favorite (reggae) bands, the Konshens.

 "Looking back on what I said all those years ago, all the hopes and dreams I had, I've come to the conclusion that if having things turn out the way you wanted them to is a measure of a successful life, then some would say I'm a failure. The important thing is not to be bitter over life's disappointments. Learn to let go of the past. And recognize that every day won't be sunny, and when you find yourself lost in the darkness and despair, remember it's only in the black of night you see the stars. And those stars will lead you back home. So don't be afraid to make mistakes, to stumble and fall, cause most of the time, the greatest rewards come from doing the things that scare you the most. Maybe you'll get everything you wish for. Maybe you'll get more than you ever could have imagined. Who knows where life will take you. The road is long and in the end, the journey is the destination."

Sorry it's a little hard to understand, it's Reggae so their English is a bit different... By the way, "Jah" is their word for God.

Dis is a prayer to the father,
Guide my steps as yuh sit on your throne.
Show mi di way fi get mi food an mi water,
(Show me the way to get me food and water)
And do nuh mek mi grudge nobody fi dem own.
(And do not make me grudge nobody for their own.)
Whole heap a people mek badmind tek dem ova,
(Whole heaps of people let badmind take them over)
Cah dem a try fi face it all alone.
(I call them and try to face it alone)
So mi a call pon di strength of the father,
To help mi fi work fi mi own.
Keep badmind outta mi heart,
Keep negative outta mi thoughts.
Mi know seh it easy to pree di wrong way,
(I know it's easy to pray the wrong way)
So Jah Jah please guide mi everyday.
Keep badmind outta mi heart,
Keep negative outta mi thoughts. 
Most high bless me yeah, guide and protect me yeah.
Di strength that mi woulda tek fi badmind anotha man
(The strenth it takes to badmind another man)
Help mi use di strength and try find a betta plan
(Help me use this strength to find a better plan)
The time me tek I wish mi did have somebody life
(The time it takes to wish I had someone else's life)
Help mi pree mi own a life and try fi set it right yeah
(Help me with my own life and try to set it right)
Mi nuh wah fi pree nobody fi dem links
(I don't want to pray for anyone else's connections)
Help me to go out deh go look mi own a tings
(Help me to go out and get my own things)
And I'm not perfect, I'm just a man
That's why mi call on yuh Jah fi keep mi strong
Well father mi give thanks fi life as mi wake up,
(Well father, I give thanks for life as I wake up)
Cause ah yuh mek it still a gwaan.
(Cause you make is amazing)
And even when mi day nuh turn out like mi want it to,
(And even when my day doesn't turn out like I want it to)
Mi give thanks and mi move on.
(I give thanks and I move on)
Badmind live inna di soul and di heart of men,
(Badmind lives in the souls and hearts of men)
Dis fight is not an easy one.
Jah Jah elevate mi and mek mi a betta man,
Help mi to overstand.

1 comments:

  • October 24, 2010 at 4:45 PM
    Bobbie Jo says:

    Hey Ali,
    I'm sorry all those things happened at once but you are a strong person and things will get better as I'm sure you are well aware.
    Hang in there =)
    Bobbie Jo

    delete

Post a Comment

 

 See What I See | Copyright © 2011