4/08/2010

Liberated

Posted on
I have always loved riding the bowls, chutes, and powder at Breck, but I have always struggled doing so on my park skis. I decided that before the season was over I wanted to demo a pair of powder/ big mountain skis for the day, and I finally did. I went to a local ski shop called Colorado Freeride and got a pair of Liberty Helix big mountain skis. They were 176's, which I was worried would be a little big for me, but I went for it anyway. We had a good 8 inches of fresh powder so I was incredibly stoked, so stoked I ended up getting first chair up 6 chair and imperial bowl.

What shocked me most about these skis was the fact that I could hit powder full speed from a groomed run and not lose any speed, unlike my park skis which are so soft they roll up on me and I end up somersaulting. I floated like a boat through over the powder, but could still dig my edge in and cruise (and I mean cruise!) down the groomers. I was also very impressed by how light they were for their size, and found that because of that the length was superb. The weight also made it a breeze to hike.

Overall, I rode like my pro friends do yesterday. Those skis made me hike runs I would never hike, bomb runs I would never have traversed, and take my skiing to higher levels. Colorado Freeride closes at 7:00pm, and I waited until 6:45 to take them back. To say the least, I was devastated. I felt like I was taking my puppy to the pound. Not only did it make me sad I didn't have the money to buy them, it made me sad the season is ending. If it weren't for my two knee surgeries this summer from preventing me from working, you can bet your bottom dollar I'd be saving up for those!!

Thanks to Liberty for the best day of skiing I've ever had in my entire life.

0 comments to “Liberated”

Post a Comment

 

 See What I See | Copyright © 2011