1/03/2012

Where's the snow?

Posted on
A belated Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, etc to everyone! I guess I'm just updating to say that there's officially nothing going on in the western half of the U.S, including Summit County. I was just skimming some of my favorite snow sport enthusiast websites and a few of the headlining articles were: "Snowboarding on Sand | It's That Bad in Utah", "Alpine Meadows Conditions, Welcome to June-uary", and "Reno = Driest December Since 1883". This is where I could whine for a good paragraph about how bummed I am that I spent $600 on an Epic Pass to ride powder at Vail and Beaver Creek all season. But when you live in the mountains, you're at the mercy of mother nature. You have to take what you get and go with it, that's what makes mountain living so exciting, through the good and the bad.

When all is said and done, it's the tourists (particularly the ones from overseas), I feel bad for; Who spent thousands and thousands of dollars only to come and find 30% open terrain with crusty, wind-blown snow, and hour-long lift lines. I'm especially sad for those from Europe, seeing as they've been getting dumped on over there.

While driving through town I saw a number of trailers with dirtbikes. It seems like a lot of the locals are trying to find other activities to do so they can leave the mountains to the tourists. We had plans to go to Jackson Hole and Silverton this winter, and I think we're going to be canceling both. Both places are among the few places with snow, so it seems like a good idea, until you consider the immense amount of people who are probably flocking there in storms.

What's wrong with this picture? From Copper Mountain, CO

On another note, I've been trying to make the best of it and enjoy what open terrain I can. I decided to put my GoPro on the end of my ski pole on Christmas Day and take some footage at Copper Mountain. It's nothing special I guess, but it's a fun perspective for those who aren't skiers/snowboarders. I'm still working on trying to figure out how to upload higher quality videos... I'm kind of video-illiterate.



0 comments to “Where's the snow?”

Post a Comment

 

 See What I See | Copyright © 2011