1/06/2010

R.I.P CR-V!

Posted on
Yesterday evening was the first (and probably last) time I saw my car since my accident. I knew the bottom of my car was probably pretty bad, and I knew my windshield and driver side mirror were busted... but I had no idea how bad the front end was.



The picture doesn't do it justice, I was shocked when I walked up to it. There were still tree branches and snow packed into my car. I didn't realize at the time of my accident how deep one tree actually went into the front end. I have strong reason to believe me and that tree would have had a face to face introduction if the snow wasn't so deep.

I took all my belongings out, and took my ski racks, bike rack, and trailer hitch off. I sat in the drivers seat one last time, and then walked away with as little emotion as I possibly could. Physically I am fine, which is probably the most shocking thing to me. Emotionally I am up and down. I drove past the accident site on the way to my car. Contrary to what I thought, I think seeing the accident site and my car again helped. I was able to make some closure, and accept what happened.

I have always been very resilient to change or tragedy, but this is a challenge. The entire thing was over in a matter of seconds, and I think when that much happens in such a short amount of time, it takes that much longer for your brain to process it.

Of course I have been back skiing since my accident. In fact, I've done a lot of skiing. I've gotten away from the park, and have decided to discover the rest of my mountain. There is so much I almost missed forever. I have ridden almost every single run at Breckenridge ski resort except peak 10 and the back bowls. I don't know that I am ready for all of the terrain on peak 10, which is the expert peak of Breck. Today was the first "pow" day I've gotten to ride all season. I rode almost all day in white out conditions with my friends Maggie and Jordi, but it was amazing.

I am hoping to hear from my insurance company within the next few days. It's not easy living without a car. But I rather go a while not living easy than not living at all!

1 comments:

  • January 7, 2010 at 8:31 AM
    Anonymous says:

    I am so glad you are ok! Those icy hills are scary and you did well to keep your head and make that decision that you did. I'm sorry about your car, but looking at it you were really fortunate as you also realize. Best to you this semester.

    delete

Post a Comment

 

 See What I See | Copyright © 2011